Friday, January 17, 2014

Qatar National Day

December 18th was Qatar National Day.
Since this is my first December in the country, I was not too sure what to expect.  Now that I have had the experience, I would say it is like the United State's Fourth of July...times 10!

National Day is the commemoration of the historic day in 1878 when Shaikh Jasim, the founder of the State of Qatar, succeeded his father, Shaikh Muhammad Bin Thani, as the ruler and led the country toward unity. The holiday was established by a June 21, 2007 decree of the Emir and Heir Apparent Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani. It is intended to maintain a knowledge and appreciation of Qatar's heritage, and to encourage pride among Qataris.

My celebration started on December 17th at work.  Thank you to Qatar Foundation and Sidra Medical and Research Center for allowing us to enjoy Qatar heritage in the afternoon while we were supposed to be working!  At lunch we enjoyed a free lunch of traditional food.  Yummy lamb!  The desert was a cake and cupcakes.  Always a plus for any meal!

We were presented with gift bags complete with scarves and flags.











After lunch we were entertained by: Playing traditional games: FYI I lost, but I was playing with an experienced Middle Eastern!


 
 
Then I enjoyed getting a Henna tattoo.  Although this practice was started in India, it  has spread and is very popular in many countries of the Gulf.  This decoration is usually done on the hands but since it needed to dry for several hours, I decided to get it on my leg so I could could do work at my computer whenever I returned to my office.  Settle down mom.... it only lasts 3 weeks!


My favorite part of the day was holding a Falcon!


 We also had a traditional music group to entertain us.
A wonderful afternoon to celebrate the culture of Qatar.

Certainly not the lunch time I am used to having in the United States.









Now onto the 18th!

Here are the rules of the day as I now understand them:
First get up really early and get to the Corniche.  Walk, the roads are closed.  Everyone in Doha is going to the Corniche area so just follow the crowds.  You must leave your condo by 7am.

 
The first entertainment of the day was a Military Parade like I have never seen before.  Tanks, multiple type of armored vehicles, guns, boats, troops, horses, camels, etc.  It was all there to enjoy.  I must say, I feel very safe seeing all that they have to offer in an emergency or national disaster.
 
There was also an airshow and a boat parade.


Afternoon was filled with family activities around Doha.  My friends and I went to lunch because as all my friends know...it is all about the food for me.
After a nice rest we were onto our evening activities which included a free concert by the Doha Philharmonic Orchestra which was on a temporary stage that had amazing lights.
 The evening was finished with amazing fireworks as the orchestra continued to play.

 




 

 
A wonderful way to  spend a day and enjoy the heritage and pride of Qatar.
P.S. they would not let me keep the Falcon.
 

2 comments:

  1. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nurse in Qatar Your fish to find Apartments in Qatar visit www.qatarbhk.com 1bhk,2bhk,3bhk

    ReplyDelete