Friday, November 1, 2013

I am American and I want a Driver's License

As most of you have correctly surmised, I really like the country of Qatar.  It is a wonderful standard of living and I have met some amazing people - both Qatari and Expats.  But.......every so often you are reminded that behind the beautiful buildings and the amazing progress, is a country that has some skeletons in their infrastructure.  Case in point......the process of getting a driver's license.



If I was from almost any other country in the world and had a nonexpired license, I would simply submit paperwork and a free Qatar license would show up.  However, if you are a new driver or evidently an American, you have to go through the painful process of going to this ramshackle disgusting building no less than 3 times.  Luckily 7 of my coworkers experienced this with me.
The rumor is that since the United States requires the Qatari people take a driving test to get a license in the U.S., they reciprocate the law and make us do it here. The difference is that I have seen how they drive and I demand that we make them take a driving test when coming to the United States!


 
First visit:  Eye Test. We were told it was 30QR ($8) but suddenly when we arrived the price was 50QR ($14) - CASH ONLY.  They tested our eyes in order to see if our sight was good enough to drive.  Good idea, but can someone tell me why they test our eyes one at a time?  How many of us drive with one eye closed?  Is this in case I suddenly decide to wear an eye patch?  Luckily I passed.
Ok back to my job.
 
Day 2: Up at 5, out the door by 6 to get the Traffic Department to take my written test.  Wait around for awhile and then get called into a room.  Sat down in a chair and had to tell the tester what 4 different signs meant.  Yes, just 4 signs.  That was the entire test!   Great use of my time!  Ok back to my job.
 
Day 3:  Up at 4am, out the door by 5am.  If you are a women, they only give the driving test on Thursday at 530am.  Or let me clarify that.  They demand that you arrive at 530am so you can submit your now pile of paperwork (haven't they heard of computers!) and pay 180QR ($50) - CASH ONLY.  The purpose of arriving so early is so you can sit for no less than 3 hours in their disgustingly dirty chairs and pray you do not have to visit the bathroom. 
 
 
(If I look happy, it is only because I brought Pepperidge Farm cookies to eat as my breakfast)  So happy my friends were with me!
 
After about 3 hours, they load groups of 20-25 women onto buses.  The bus leaves the parking area with a car up ahead.  Every so often the car and bus pull over and the "student" driver changes with someone in the bus. 
 Finally, it was my turn.  The instructor (a women) said exactly 4 words to me: roundabout, straight, left and park.  She was truly warm and fuzzy! (I think she really enjoys her job!) I drove no more than 500 feet.
After the fun bus ride, we returned to the disgusting chairs to wait and wait and wait..... Finally a pile of papers show up (again please someone introduce them to computers!)  The man at the desk starts calling names.  Individually, you have to go to the front of the room with about 200 women watching you.  The man at the desk then says either:
COME AGAIN! That means you failed and another man makes you leave out the door immediately. So Respectful!
Or PUT YOUR PHONE NUMBER HERE! Evidently that is their disrespectful way of saying "Congratulations on passing.  Please put your phone number here and we would be glad to print your official license"  He was also speaking mostly Arabic which I have to tell you I have made no progress on learning. (Luckily one of my coworkers with me spoke Arabic and she was able to translate for me.)
 
Unfortunately out of the 8 Americans that I was with, 2 women did not pass. Yes, that is not a typo.  Both of them have driven for more than 30 years in the United States but they do not drive well enough for Qatar??? Really? If you need a refresher on the driving skills required in Qatar, I recommend my previous blog on the subject.  I believe one of them Yielded during her driving test and we all know there is no Yielding in Qatar!
 
I however did pass.  I was instructed to a window where I was told to pay 250QR ($69) - DEBIT CARD ONLY! (Now I think I am on Candid Camera).
 
I was so proud to be done with the process! Again, I think I heard "We are the Champions" by Queen in my head.
 
My pride was only broken when I looked on the back and saw the the man who did my final paperwork, marked me as Handicapped!
 
Oh well........I think I will get an eye patch!
 
 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. My Name is TRACY, From United Kingdom. I wish to share my testimonies with the general public about what this man called dr ideshi has just done for me , this man has just brought back my lost Ex husband to me with his great spell, I was married to this man called Steven we were together for a long time and we loved our self’s but when I was unable to give him a child for 2 years he left me and told me he can’t continue anymore then I was now looking for ways to get him back until a friend of mine told me about this man and gave his contact email, then you won't believe this when I contacted this man on my problems he prepared this spell cast and bring my lost husband back, and after a month I miss my month and go for a test and the result stated am pregnant am happy today am a mother of a baby girl, thank you once again the great dr ideshi for what you have done for me, if you are out there passing through any of this problems listed below:

    1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be
    yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) How you been scammed and you want to recover you lost money
    - you can contact hem via: email ideshispelltemple@outlook.com or cell phone
    +2348074839242.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my good people of the world My name is mason schroeder i live in Australia and I’am happily married with
    a lovely husband and two children.I had a very big problem with my husband few months ago,to the extent that she
    even packed her things away from me and my kids for almost 5 months,and i tried all my possible best and effort to
    bring her back.I discussed it with a very good friend of mine,and he gave me an advice concerning a spell caster,and i
    quote.There’s someone who can handle your situation,he’s always ready and able to do anything related to spell
    casting,i will like you to contact him call Dr.lidya which is as follows ancient benin shrine I never believed in spell
    casting,but he convinced me and i had no choice than to follow his advice,because i never dream t of loosing my lovely
    Husband.And that’s how i contacted him with his email address lidyalovespell@gmail.com, and i discussed with
    him and so surprisingly,he told me that I’ll get my husband back a day after.so i never believed,until when i got
    home,the next day,my husband called me to inform me that she was coming back..So Amazing that’s how i got my
    back through spell casting and our relationship was now stronger than husband how it was before.One of the price i
    was asked to pay was to tell it to people around me that problems like this,can always be solved by ancient benin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its nice reading your blog.. reminds me the same visuals lol .. FYI now they started touchscreen tests and things..
    cool
    by the way same blood group here A+ keep blogging.. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Nurse Refresher course southern California

    ReplyDelete