Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What a Skyline!

        After 2 days of orientation inside a building, it was time to get outside.  Luckily, by the time we were done for the day, the temperature had dropped to a cool 98 degrees.  I met a few new colleagues in the lobby and we were off.  Our walking group consisted of all colleagues from Sidra Medical Center.  We were all new to Qatar except for our guide, who has been here for several months.  He had previously figured out how to get around all the construction sites and blocked roads in order to arrive at the Arabian Gulf.

Our walking group consited of 2 colleagues from Ireland, 1 from UK, 1 from Jamaica/NYC, 1 from Ethiopia and 2 from America.  We were the U.N. of walking!  One of the most amazing aspects of this job is how many different accents I hear on a daily basis.  I have a lot of trouble with Scottish and Irish.  The weirdest comment I have heard is that I have a nice accent.  Excuse me, I don't have an accent!

What they never mention in the travel brochures, is that Qatar gives out free saunas to anyone willing to walk outside. The entire country is one big spa treatment.  At this rate, I will never have dry skin and maybe a few less wrinkles. This must be why the Qatari women have such nice skin!

The walk was about 2 miles to get to the Corniche - the beautiful stone area around the Arabian Gulf.  Looking around at the skyscrapers and palm trees, it reminded me of Miami.  The area is stunning!  Okay, it was HOT!  By the time we arrived at the Arabian Gulf, I wanted to strip and jump in.  However, I thought it was a little early to get thrown out of the country!  The water did feel spectacular on my feet - warm but soothing.

After our 2 mile journey to arrive at this area, we suddenly figured out that we still had to return to our condos.  Now the temperature was down to about 95 degrees but we were out of water.  Poor planning on our part.  We could of gotten a cab but we entertained ourselves by talking about how many calories we had used up in the heat.  Also, I must admit that I thoroughly enjoy hearing about my colleagues other working experiences.  They have all been chosen because they are the best at what they do and I really respect them.

After arriving home, all I could think about was returning.  I can't wait to go back to the Corniche BUT next time I hope to not walk the 4 miles in sandals.  My sneakers have not made it from the United States yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment