Friday, September 20, 2013

Desert Weather


How is the weather in Qatar you ask?  Well, I moved the the desert...it is HOT! With an amazing amount of humidity added in to make sure the Dew point stays extremely uncomfortable.

Right now Americans say "above" or "below".  That means it is either above 100 degrees or pleasingly less than 100 degrees which this month means the temp falls to a delightful 99.  The warmest day of the year is statistically July 6th so I have something to look forward to in 2014.  I only arrived in August so the temp has not been above 110.  Evidently I missed the hot weather.

We are soon to be in "the season".  Never knew there was a "season" but around here people are getting very excited!  "The season" here is when the weather breaks and everyone starts to enjoy outdoor activities. All the restaurants open their outdoor dining and the beaches become busier without the threat of heat stroke.  The Ritz just had their first beach party but I think I will wait about 2 more weeks till "the season" really begins.  The reason everyone loves their beach party is that expats who want to show their knees and shoulders are allowed to wear shorts and sleeveless shirts....scandalous! I can't wait...my knees are getting lonely these days!

Since I arrived, I have not seen one hint of a cloud in the sky.  Perfectly sunny here 77% of the time!  I love that!  It is only considered cloudy about 1% of the time. There is a chance of clouds during the "cold season".  Really, they have one here.  That is what they call December to March.  Average temperature during the day is 77 degrees - "cold season"....bring out the furs because at night it occasionally hits the 50s.

I did not pack an umbrella!  Totally forgot.  I will need to buy one because it does rain here about 3 inches a year...yes that is the entire total for the year!  February usually brings in the most rain but I think flooding is out of the question.  Won't buy rain boots.  Ark not needed.

Hot or not, I walk everywhere.  You just get used to the temperature.  I have never lived anywhere I could walk to shopping, restaurants, etc.  Here I walk to the grocery store about 4 times a week.  I usually go around 4 pm right after work when the temperature is the highest.  You walk to the store and lose 2 lbs on the way.  Not bad.

Not everyone is able to buy a plane ticket to the Middle East to enjoy the weather.  But if you want to have the same experience, turn on your oven and jump in.  Of course remember to cover your knees and shoulders.  Cardigans work great in this weather.  Let me know how it feels!

No comments:

Post a Comment